Our firm provides services in connection with a broad range of transactional work in the music publishing industry on behalf of independent and major music publishers and their equity partners. In this capacity, we advise clients on complex transactions involving both sales and acquisitions of substantial music catalogs. Our services with respect to such transactions include advising prospective sellers and purchasers in connection with the valuation of music assets, preparing comprehensive prospective risk analyses and advising asset selling entities with respect to proactive strategies for mitigating any potential risk of loss that might negatively impact the value of their catalogs. We are highly regarded for our adeptness in negotiating and precision in drafting asset and stock purchase agreements and related documents in connection with large scale music transactions. We also advise clients purchasing significant music assets through the post-closing implementation of a transaction in order to ensure that title to newly acquired assets is properly registered, recorded and secured. This comprehensive approach to the acquisition and sale process maximizes the value that our clients derive from their music assets on both the selling and acquiring sides of a transaction.
Recent relevant transactions include representation of:
- Carlin Music and related entities as lead IP counsel in the sale of assets and shares to Round Hill Music, LLC
- Primary Wave Music IP Fund 1 as lead transaction and IP counsel in the acquisition of rights in the Blue Mountain Music and Blackwell Fuller Music Publishing music catalogs, including the compositions of songwriter and performer Bob Marley
- Sony/ATV Music Publishing and Primary Wave Music IP Fund 1 as lead transaction and IP counsel in the joint acquisition of the compositions of songwriter and performer Smokey Robinson
- BMG Rights Management as lead transaction and IP counsel in the acquisition of the compositions and artist royalties of songwriter and performer Buddy Holly
- Primary Wave Music IP Fund 1 as lead transaction and IP counsel in the acquisition of the compositions and artist royalties of songwriter and performer Glenn Gould